This dictionary uses simple, clear language to define words in American English. (In contrast to standard dictionaries which will use advanced vocabulary within definitions).
With innovations such as DefinitionsPLUS and vocabulary builders, the Collins COBUILD School Dictionary of American English transforms the learner's dictionary from an occasional reference into the ultimate resource and must-have dictionary for language learners. The definitions have been created using a controlled vocabulary, and each definition has been reviewed by a team of classroom teachers to ensure that they are appropriate for learners at the intermediate level.
• Each definition is written using the high-frequency words and naturally occurring grammatical patterns native speakers actually use, making every entry a model of how to use the language appropriately.
• "Word Webs" present related vocabulary within a context.
• "Picture Dictionary" boxes illustrate vocabulary and concepts.
• "Word Partnerships" show high-frequency word patterns.
• "Thesaurus" boxes offer both synonyms and antonym for the target word.
• "Word Link" boxes "Word Links" highlight the most common prefixes, suffixes, and word roots of the target word.
• Usage" sections clarify the use of commonly misused words and other confusing language, and explain cultural references.
Note: Mount or Burn the ISO to use the software -- you can run it right from the CD.